Saturday, November 03, 2007

Every Cake You Bake

When I was 4 or 5, I had three favorite songs and, thus, three favorite artists. "Our House" by Madness (a song my mom hates to this day because apparently I sang it in the car incessantly), "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson, and "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. Those are still among my all-time favorite songs (and artists) and while I never thought I'd get to see any of them live, the one I least expected to see was the Police.

But my luck changed last year when they announced they were getting back together for a world tour. I knew I had to be there, and I had my sights set on Sept 27 in Barcelona. Cut to several months later, and I'm in Boston when the Police are in Barcelona. And I'm in Barcelona when they're in Boston... so the only option was the show Nov 2 at Madison Square Garden. And I think I chose wisely.

I'd heard from various sources who saw them play at various venues that the concert was lacking. Kinda boring, not so impressive musically, etc. So I was really not expecting much, but even if I had been, I still would've been totally blown away last night. Maybe they've improved and learned to enjoy themselves more in the past month or two, or maybe they just really dug the MSG crowd. Whatever it was, they put on an amazing show that definitely belongs in my top ten concerts of all time list. Which already has 11....

No comments: