Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Answer to Cost Accounting is…. Rugby?

Last night my friend Alexia agreed to come to soccer practice and, in so doing, join the IESE women's soccer team. The caveat was that today I had to come to rugby practice with her. So tonight I played rugby for the first time in my life.

Now, I've watched my fair share of the game (particularly 6 Nations) so I was familiar enough with the rules to know that I wouldn't be allowed to chuck a hail mary downfield, but I'd never actually played beyond tossing ball around a few times. So I was pleasantly surprised to see how quickly I caught on. I was also impressed with the turnout. 11 of us! That's more than the soccer team has ever managed. I'm sure the perfect weather didn't hurt either... Anyway, it's now official. I'm on the IESE womens' rugby team.

Another interesting aspect of rugby is that it seems to do wonders for one's accounting abilities. Too bad I didn't figure this out before my final in December. I say this because after practice I managed to do tomorrow's managerial accounting case in about an hour. Now this could be the result of 3 things:
1. I did it completely wrong.
2. The teacher lied to us when he said this was a hard case.
3. I got hit in the head during practice (and don't remember it happening) which unlocked a secret accounting door in my brain, and will now be a whiz at it from here on out.

Chances are it's really #1, or maybe a combination of 1 and 2, but I'm still holding out for option 3. I will keep you all posted as I continue this very important study.

No comments: