Monday, October 30, 2006

Amsterdam Weekend


One cool thing about the 2nd year is that you can just pick up and hop on a plane without the same amount of stress that would've accompanied such an adventure in the first year. Another cool thing is that you can meet up with old pals who have graduated from IESE.

On Saturday morning I woke up at 4am to catch my flight to Amsterdam, having gone to sleep just three hours earlier due to job applications and a phone interview. By 6am my plane was off and I was out cold, and two hours later we were landing in rainy Holland. Since my uncle wasn't to arrive until 1, Floris kindly offered to have me over for breakfast.

With Floris

We chatted and caught up and then took a stroll around his neighborhood, and before I knew it, it was time to head to the port where I was to meet my uncle's boat. I arrived laden down with about 20 pounds of stroopwafels, dropped off my stuff, and we were off for a guided tour of the city, first by bus and then by canal boat.

The river cruise boat

That evening we had dinner on the boat and then headed off for a tour of the red light district guided by the cruise director. I never thought I'd be strolling through the red light district with a gang of 90 septegenarians, but hey life is full of suprises. I had my own little cabin on the ship Saturday night and thank goodness for the extra hour of sleep because it was hard enough to get out of bed in the morning!

Red Light District
Sunday we went for a stroll and enjoyed the nicer weather. We met up with Floris again and went for coffee and then later for Indonesian food. Dinner was at Moeders for some traditional Dutch fare - very hearty meat and potatoes deal. Straight back to the airport after dinner, read two cases, stretched out and fell asleep, and before I knew it, I was back in Barcelona. More photos here.

It was great to get away on my own and spend some time with friends and family away from the IESE scene. Particularly since I had a 12 hour day at school today; the result of classes, lunchtime career presentations, and team meetings. Now it's late Monday night and I know I have another long day ahead, starting bright and early at 8am.... I guess it's time to get some sleep.

1 comment:

Ash said...

oh i miss holland soooo much!