Sunday, April 16, 2006

Back from Romania... and I can still see my reflection!

Hello everyone! I have returned more or less intact from my weeklong sojourn in Romania. I'm certainly more pale than when I left, but I think it's just because of the climate and and not the vampires.

There is much to write about my trip, and I promise that I took careful notes during the week so I can give a nice big wrap up, but now I'm exhausted after our flight was cancelled and we traveled all day.

So for the time being, a few things I learned in the past week:
1. Flaming shots can burn you. Don't put your fingers near fire!
2. Zombies exist. Really, they do. I saw one in Brasov. He looked so very tired.
3. Vlad's personality is in no way attributable to his parents (who are very charming and kind) or the country of Romania. Even Romanians find him... interesting.
4. Romania is more like the wild wild west than California is. And it is SO COOL.
5. Modern Talking still gets radio airplay in some parts of the world. Yes, you guessed it. In Romania.
6. You can put a car on top of a horse-pulled wooden cart to make your very own SUV. And you can take it on the highway!
7. If you like salad, or vegetables of any kind, Romania is not the place for you.
8. If you like meat - lots of it - Romania is the place for you.
9. Homemade Romanian moonshine makes me feel less drunk than gin and tonic. And it's good to keep a bottle in the trunk of your car in case you run out of gasoline on long trips!
10. Romanian women really are as gorgeous as everyone says they are. Gentlemen, start your engines.

And finally, a photo. To sum up the trip.

3 comments:

NoellieBellie said...

You should see the video! :)

Catalonic said...

I can't believe you all made it back alive. I was certain that it was going to be one of those trips where everyone comes back "changed", having promised to never speak of the trip again. Ever.
But the 2 horsepower SUV photo makes up for it.

NoellieBellie said...

Well.... What happens in Romania stays in Romania.

Except for the videos of us force-feeding Vlad. Those will soon be broadcast in a theater near you.