Monday, November 21, 2005

Killer weekend!

Just home from seeing Coldplay in concert with Huy. Fantastic! But I'll get back to that... first the weekend wrap-up.

When we last saw our fearless heroine (ahem) she was getting ready to play soccer with the boys on Saturday morning. Actually, this was one of the funnier games we've played this year. I'm not sure why exactly, but everyone was just so funny. We all played kind of sloppily but no one got frustrated and there was actually one point when I was rolling on the turf laughing. It was exactly what I needed!

In the afternoon I had big plans to read cases, but after reading a marketing technical note and half a marketing case, my eyes were closing and the bed was calling to me. No offense to marketing. So I took a nap for a couple of hours, which I haven't done since I arrived here, aside from when I was sick, and then studied for a couple of hours before heading to Edi's house to watch the Barcelona / Real Madrid game.

Barcelona won 3-0, and after that, the city went nuts. We all headed from Edi's place down to Placa Real and the club Trece for the big birthday bash, but we couldn't get down La Rambla because there were too many people in the streets, cheering and singing, and waving Barca flags. Drivers were honking their horns, our taxi driver was swearing up and down, and we ended up having to walk part of the way to the club, but it was worth it because we got to enjoy the revelry that much more.

The party itself was outrageous... actually it was quite normal until the very end, when we all were singing the Barcelona song or chanting other songs and the names of all the birthday people. I'm sure that, under normal circumstances, we would have been quite annoying to everyone around us, but the beautiful thing was that EVERYONE was singing and acting silly because of the game, so no one paid much attention to us.... other than to join in and sing along.

I spent most of the day today preparing cases for the week. In Decision Analysis we are going to start a new module tomorrow using something called "Crystal Ball" in order to do a "Monte Carlo Simulation." Now I have no idea what any of this means, but I'm really hoping it's a method for looking into the future so that when I go to gamble in Monte Carlo I will know where the ball will land on the roulette wheel! I downloaded it this morning... I have high hopes for my new gambling program! :)

So that brings me to Coldplay... Huy and I were talking just last week about how cool it would've been to have gotten tickets. I've tried to see Coldplay in New York so many times but they always sell out so fast. But yesterday evening as I was studying, I saw an email from another first year student, Andre, who had to give up his tickets. Since I happened to be on my computer right then, I was able to respond first and got them. So Huy and I went tonight. The concert was in Montjuic, where I hadn't been since the Youth Symphony trip 10 years ago. Goldfrapp opened for them and put on a decent show, and then Coldplay was... awesome. They are so great live. What an awesome band. And Huy and I were SO CLOSE to the front. I think I'm going to have to go to concerts every week or I'll start to suffer withdrawal! Oh man it's late. I need to sleep... Hopefully tomorrow I'll have pictures from the party and the concert.

No comments: